Q&A with the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue

Scenario: Claiming a refund for the sales tax paid on the purchase of wine which is then resold

Dec 13, 2016

Under Act 39, a wine expanded permit holder must charge sales tax to its customers on sales of wines. Additionally, the permit holder must also pay sales tax at time of purchase.  The permit holder/retailer can then claim a refund from the Department for the sales tax it paid upon its purchase of the wine which it then resold. What will be the reporting mechanism for obtaining this refund from the Department?


In lieu of a refund, Wine Expanded Permit licensees may recover the tax paid on the original purchase price to the PLCB when filing their Sales, Use, and Hotel Occupancy Tax return with the Department.  A licensee may claim a “Tax Paid Purchase Resold” (TPPR) credit on a sales tax return within three years of a purchase that is resold.  The amount of the TPPR credit may not exceed the total amount due for that return or be less than zero.

Unused TPPR credits can be carried forward on subsequent returns.  The licensee should keep documentation supporting the TPPR credit taken for at least three years from the date the return is filed.  

Leave a comment

Watch: 2019 Q&A with the DOR
Watch: 2019 Q&A with the DOR

Watch Now

A PICPA member login is required to access this content. A full transcript is also available.

Full Transcripts:
Annual Meetings
Oct. 2019      Oct. 2018

Oct. 2017      Oct. 2016

  Sept. 2015     Sept. 2014

Full Transcripts:
Quarterly Meetings

These documents provide a summary of the answers provided by the Department of Revenue to the PICPA Committee on State Taxation at its annual question and answer session. These documents are classified as revenue information issued for informational purposes only for the convenience of PICPA members. Pursuant to 61 Pa. Code Section 3.4, these documents should not be relied upon for any purpose or used in tax appeals. Taxpayers requiring a binding opinion on their specific fact situation may request a written letter ruling under 61 Pa. Code Section 3.3.