- Determine how to prepare each schedule to the estate tax return (Form 706).
- Identify the most common errors by practitioners in the preparation of Form 706 and receive the "hot button" list provided by an IRS Group Manager.
- Identify how to present returns to minimize audit risks.
- Working with the doubled basic exclusion amount.
- Recognize protective and perfected refund claims with estate tax.
- Determine portability elections to benefit from the deceased spousal unused exclusion amount (DSUEA).
- Identify and discuss rules to deduct expenses and liabilities, including protective refund claims (and Schedule PC) and extra demands, as well as calendaring needed for your office.
This revised course reviews the basics of preparing a federal estate tax return (Form 706) and making the portability election for the estate of the deceased spouse.
Learn about the portability of the deceased spousal unused exclusion amount, which is a fast-growing compliance opportunity for clients. Explore how the portability election can provide significant estate tax insurance for the surviving spouse and income tax insurance for beneficiaries. Also, identify how to complete each of the schedules and make available elections. Further, discuss the changes arising from the most recent changes in federal estate tax law the most recent edition of Form 706. This course will also review the new income tax basis consistency reporting rules with the preparation of Form 706.
Information is presented with additional content added for basic understanding. Federal estate tax returns remain the most difficult and trap-strewn of all returns required for the estate. This course can help beginning practitioners identify problems and traps before they arise and recommend what to do to protect a practice.
Note: A companion course, Advanced Issues: The Art of the Estate Tax Return, presents in-depth discussion of issues, tax-saving strategies and planning alternatives with Form 706 using the instructor's book, Art of the Estate Tax Return (2nd ed.), Bloomberg BNA Books.
You May Also Like
Oct. 29 | Malvern
Nov. 7 | Malvern
Nov. 20 | Webinar