How do I get back a 25 percent withholding after failing to submit a nonresident form on time for an IRA with foreign stock?

Jul 30, 2018

I have a small IRA that contained a stock called NRDM that had a cash merger. The stock is located in Israel, and I failed to get the nonresident form in on time and was subject to a 25 percent withholding. I am having trouble figuring out what forms I need to fill out to get my withholding returned, both for Israel and the U.S., and how to get it back in the account properly, as I am under distribution age. 

I am afraid you cannot receive a refund for the foreign taxes withheld.

To avoid double taxation, the U.S. tax code allows either a tax credit or a tax deduction for foreign taxes withheld. But that is only available for taxes imposed on income subject to U.S. income tax in the same year, thus it is not applicable to tax-deferred accounts such as IRAs or 401(k)s.
Only a few countries have tax treaties with the United States not to withhold taxes in IRA or 401(k) accounts.
Check out this article on the IRS website regarding foreign tax credit for more information. Additionally, I recommend you consult a professional for more insight and assistance.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Ibolya Balog, CPA, is an associate professor at Cedar Crest College in Allentown, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >