This is the first year my husband contributed to a retirement plan. What forms should we file with our taxes?

Jan 25, 2019

Last year (2018) was the first year my husband put into a retirement plan. On his W-2, the retirement plan is marked. He did not take anything out of it, just put in to it. In addition to the regular 1040EZ form with our W-2s, are there any other forms we need to fill out?

The Retirement Plan box checked on the W-2 is just an indicator that the employee was an eligible participant in an employer-sponsored retirement plan. It does not necessitate any additional form filing.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Alan M. Schapire, CPA, is a principal with Convergent Financial Strategies LLC in Wayne, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

PICPA 2020 Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsor

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Gold Sponsor

Paychex logo

Bronze Sponsor

Capstan Logo 

Interested in becoming a sponsor? Contact Kelli Comegys for packages and opportunities.