I haven’t paid my taxes in three years. What do I need to do?

Jun 12, 2019

askacpaiconI haven’t paid my taxes in three years. What do I need to do?

Your question suggests that you have filed, but not paid your taxes. However, I will answer this as if you have not filed either. You’re still within the statute of limitations to get any overpayment refunded to you, but your question suggests that you may owe for all three years. It is important to file because the IRS has the authority to file a return on your behalf using information that it has and to assess you additional penalties and interest. Here is what I recommend that you do:

  • Prepare the returns yourself or have a qualified preparer do this.
    (These should be electronically filed.)
  • Pay any liability that you can, and identify the payment for the earliest tax year.
  • Wait for the IRS to send you notices of any remaining balances.
  • Call the IRS to set up an installment arrangement for the collective balances, or have your preparer do this on your behalf.

Do the same for state and local returns. Becoming compliant sooner rather than later will go a long way with the IRS. This is common, so don’t get overly anxious through this process.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Gregory Paulding, CPA, is president of Paulding & Associates PC in Erie, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >