Can my father gift me more than $15,000 using the unified tax credit and not pay a gift tax?

Jul 30, 2019

Can my father, who is still alive, gift me more than $15,000 using the unified tax credit in order to avoid paying a gift tax?

If your father gives you more than $15,000, he will not need to pay a gift tax. However, he will need to file a gift tax return, although no tax will be owed. 

The amount will lower the $11.4 million exemption from estate tax upon his death.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Carlo J. Silvesti, CPA, is an assistant professor of accounting at Gwynedd Mercy University in Gwynedd Valley, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >