I live in Pennsylvania but work in New York. To whom do I pay local income tax?

May 15, 2018
askacpaicon I live in Erie County, Pa., and work in Falconer, N.Y. Which municipality do I pay local income tax to?

Answer: You should file a local earned income tax return for the municipality in which you reside. If New York local tax was withheld you can claim a credit for taxes paid on your Pennsylvania  local return. 

Taxes can get complex, especially when they cross state lines. For more tax resources visit www.picpa.org/taxhelp.

Answer By: Kellie R. Hanas, CPA, is a senior manager with HBK CPAs & Consultants in Meadville, Pa.

***Answer originally published Jan. 1, 2015.
Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >