Would I have to pay taxes on a transfer of savings from Ireland to the United States?

Nov 27, 2018

I am an Indian citizen working in the U.S. since February this year on an H1B visa. Before this, I was working in Ireland and have some savings there. If I transfer my savings (around $20,000) to the U.S., would I have to pay any taxes?

No. The transfer of funds by itself does not create a taxing event. You will have to pay taxes only on any income (interest) that those funds generate.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Dafna Meltzer, CPA, is with Meltzer & Meltzer CPAs in Elkins Park, Pa.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >