Would my brother-in-law who has not lived in the United States for 25 years be eligible for Social Security if he owes back taxes with a tax judgment pending against him?

Jun 03, 2019

askacpaiconMy brother-in-law has not lived in the United States for 25 years. When he left, he had not filed any income tax returns for several years and owed back taxes. I do not know if any judgments were filed in his case. Is there a statute of limitations for back taxes owed, and would he still be eligible for Social Security if he had a tax judgement pending against him?

The statute of limitations for tax returns is generally three years after the original return is filed. If no return is filed, the statute of limitations never starts, and it would carry on indefinitely until a return is filed. If the government can prove fraud by clear and convincing evidence, the statute of limitations is unlimited. An omission of 25 percent of gross income has an increased statute of six years. Taxpayers with tax problems can still collect Social Security, but the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 authorizes the IRS to claim up to 15 percent of each payment until the tax debt is paid. There are some payments that are excluded from a tax levy, such as disability payments.

You may want to consider contacting a CPA or attorney for further assistance.

For more resources, check out PICPA’s Money & Life Tips, Ask a CPA, or CPA Locator.

Answered by: Christopher R. Cicalese, CPA, MSTFP, is a manager at Alloy Silverstein Shapiro Adams Mulford Cicalese Wilson & Co. in Cherry Hill, N.J.

Pennsylvania CPA Journal

Read the latest from the Pennsylvania CPA Journal online or via the mobile app and digital edition.

Read More


Get the latest info on professional trends, management, and leadership skills on CPA Now.

Read More

Premier Sponsors

Platinum Sponsors

Gallagher Bollinger Logo

Silver Sponsors

Paychex logo
Capstan Logo
epsa USA

Bronze Sponsors

Fox School of Business, Temple University

Interested in becoming a sponsor? View packages >